Most of us are familiar with the term ‘Antioxidant’. We know that they fight free radicals in the body and support the immune system. But what exactly is a free radical, and how do antioxidants really work?
A free radical is an atom that has an unpaired electron. Normally electrons are found in pairs, which balances and strengthens the atom. When another atom finds an unpaired electron it can bond to it and cause a negative reaction. If an abundance of free radicals are in the body, the way that cells code genetic material can be altered. Also, the body may begin to create errors in protein synthesis, and the immune system may then target protein (which is essential to sustain life), as a foreign substance and attempt to destroy it.
As the number of free radicals increases in the body, our ability to remain healthy and active decreases. Cancer, heart disease, arthritis and severe allergies are examples of what can result from a deficiency of antioxidants. Specific reinforcement you require to slow the aging process and prevent disease include the following antioxidant nutrients:
- Beta-Carotene/Vitamin A – Has the ability to regulate cell development and will destroy some carcinogens and will therefore be effective in cancer prevention. This vitamin also can improve vision, speed wound healing and improve immunity.
- Vitamin C – Can powerfully halt the early stages of hardening of the arteries. It also increases the immune system’s responsiveness to foreign material. Vitamin C is a natural anti-histamine – which significantly reduces the allergic response and therefore provides relief of allergy symptoms.
- Vitamin E – Has the power to neutralize lipid peroxides that create extensive damage to membranes in the body. It stimulates and strengthens the immune response especially in the presence of smog, rancid oils and cigarette smoke. This vitamin also strengthens the heart contraction and therefore works to prevent heart disease.
- Selenium – Works to detoxify pollutants, and prevents free radicals from forming. It also inhibits the degeneration processes that cause aging, and supports the liver to prevent tumor cells from spreading throughout the body.
- Co Q10 – Supports energy production in the mitochondria of the cells. It slows the aging process and considerably protects against congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and angina.
- Polyphenols – Are bioflavonoids found in red and blue pigments of fruits and berries. They include Quercetin and Bilberry. Toxic molecules in the body are destroyed by polyphenols, specifically oxygen-free radicals which can damage DNA. Quercetin directly blocks the human cancer gene (oncogene) called H-RAS, and avoids it changing normal cells to cancer cells.
- Zinc – A mineral essential for proper immune system support. Also speeds wound healing and works as an anti-inflammatory.As you can see, Antioxidants can powerfully strengthen your body! They not only sustain life, but give you the opportunity to live in abundant health. Include these essential nutrients in your supplement program.Click here to see these products in our catalogue:
- Vitamin C