Company: Natural Factors
Size: 90 Chewable Tablets
Ingredients: Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root Extract 1:10 ( Glycyrrhiza glabra ) 400 mg.
DGL stimulates and/or accelerates the protective factors that protect against ulcer formation including increasing the production of mucin–the protective coating in the stomach and intestines.
- Chew one tablet three times daily 20 minutes before each meal, or as directed by a health practitioner.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Contains no artificial preservatives, colour or sweeteners; no dairy, soy, wheat or yeast.
- Licorice has historically been regarded as an excellent medicine for peptic ulcer.
- However, due to the side effects of the licorice compound , glycyrrhetinic acid (causes elevation in blood pressure in some persons), a procedure was developed to remove this compound from licorice and form deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), resulting in a very successful anti-ulcer agent without any known side effects.
- DGL stimulates and/or accelerates the protective factors that protect against ulcer formation including increasing the production of mucin–the protective coating in the stomach and intestines.
- Numerous studies over the years have found DGL to be an effective anti-ulcer compound.
- In several head to head comparison studies, DGL has been shown to be more effective than either Tagamet, Zantac or antacids in both short term treatment and maintenance therapy of gastric and duodenal ulcers.
- Does DGL have any affect against H. pylori, the bacteria that may play an important role in peptic ulcer formation? Yes. DGL is composed of several flavonoids that have been shown to inhibit H. pylori.
- DGL must mix with saliva to be effective in healing peptic ulcers.
- DGL may promote the release of salivary compounds that stimulate the growth and regeneration of stomach and intestinal cells. DGL in capsule form has not been shown to be effective.